Supporting Your Family’s Mental Health
Do you have a child who is struggling with any of the following?
- difficulty regulating emotions/ very sensitive temperament
- anxiety, depression, OCD, or suicidal ideation
- Grief due to the death of a family member, divorce, or other losses
- Conflict or disconnection in the parent-child relationship
If you are waiting for therapy services for your loved one or wondering where to start, this group may be a perfect place for you.
My mission is to help more families, more quickly, to access services that are effective and lead to meaningful change.
This support group for parents/ caregivers takes place over four weeks in May and will jump-start your knowledge and skills, equipping you with therapeutic techniques. The first week of the group you will learn how to “emotion coach” your child. This often creates a positive shift right away for your loved one. In the following weeks you will learn multiple therapeutic interventions to:
- reduce your caregiver stress and/ or burnout
- increase connection with your child and other family members
- Support behavioural changes for your child that are linked to their recovery
- repair difficulties in relationships
- better understand some of your own vulnerabilities in stressful parenting scenarios
- Increase your confidence as a caregiver and feel empowered to respond to your loved one
You may be thinking …. but what about my child/ teen? They need therapy and support, not me. Why would I attend this group?
This course is based on an approach called Emotion Focused Family Therapy (EFFT). EFFT engages parents to learn ways to help their loved ones, honouring the emotional bond between parent and child that is uniquely powerful. This video explains so well why it’s YOU who I want to work with!
This approach also honours that caregivers deserve support when their loved one is struggling. Too often, caregivers are left out by the mental health system. Yet, you are the most important person to your child. Of course you need and deserve to be involved!
There is also a strong component integrated into these group sessions around your own mental health and self-care. With increased awareness and strategies to regulate your own emotions when faced with parenting stress, you will notice positive changes in your interactions with your loved ones.
Lastly, at the end of group, I help each family to make a plan for next steps, including connecting you for individual follow-up for you or your child, depending on your needs.
Next group session dates to be scheduled soon, please contact Joanne for more details.
If you have a benefits plan (Ex: SunLife, Manulife) and it includes coverage for mental health services, a portion or all of the cost may be covered. Please check with your provider. You will receive receipts that specify this as “Social Work Services” and “Group Therapy”, which is typically covered by benefits plans.
- These will be small groups, to create a comfort level for participants and allow for discussion. A maximum of 8 families will be enrolled.
- The cost is per family - if your spouse/ partner can attend too, there is no additional cost for the second parent. Receipts can be divided among both parents.
- The strategies learned can help parents of children of any age, but the sessions will be geared mainly towards parents of children/ teens ages 7 years old and up.
- There will be regular pauses for discussion and questions/ comments are welcomed throughout the sessions. Participants are also able to sit back and listen, like attending a workshop. I respect that everyone learns differently.
- You will need to have a strong WiFi connection and a quiet, private place for these meetings.
- We will encourage and discuss confidentiality as part of the group to create safety.
- After each weekly session, I will email the slides, handouts, and other resources to participants.
Email me at: [email protected]
Phone: (613) 867-7186
Typically, I will arrange for a brief phone call to answer questions and explore if this is the right fit for you.